Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Roller Coaster

Wow!! It's been two years since I've posted on this blog! Facebook has truly taken over this space! Well...sadly and happily not much has changed in my life. Still have the same job, same car, same friends, etc. I did move!! :)

Well I had a great experience that could only be related on an outlet like a blog, so I decided to update and might do more in the future! A few weeks ago I went to Six Flags with some friends. We had an awesome time!! I mean a REALLLY awesome time!!! :) It was my BEST experience yet to that amusement park! For real!! :) We all rode each ride together...we did the whole day together.

As the day was ending we wanted to get in the last few hours of fun!! :) Some of those with us wanted to get on the Raging Bull. I did NOT want to get on the Raging Bull! Years ago, after riding when it first opened, I purposed never to ride it again!! Now, I am not really a scary type person, I like fun and adventure. I LOVE the Giant Drop ride (this is the one that drops your from 200 feet in the air at a free fall). I want to go sky diving one day soon. I am usually up for any excitement. But...not the Raging Bull. Now my excuse was that it didn't have a harness, it just had a lap restraint, and for me, THAT was NOT good enough!! Not good enough for that first steep drop (202 feet)...no sirre bob!! LOL!!

Well, in favor of the group, being the team player I am, I, yes I, gave into the peer pressure and agreed to ride the ride. I made my decision and when we got to the ride, the line was REALLY long, so the group decided to go on another ride. Ha, I was relieved!! I agreed and it worked out we won't ride it...fine with me! After we finished the other ride, it was decided that we stick with the wait and ride the horrendous RAGING BULL!! Well, I had given my word and I was going to keep it. All through the line, I was gearing up my mind for the impending horror. I was in the line, I had given my word, I was going to ride this ride. I focused on the end of the ride, the ending corral, I mean, it was only 2-3 minutes. No one had ever died on the ride yet...I mean, really! I kept my mind on the "afterward" the promise of food, the drive home, the work I had to complete when I got home, the next day, etc. I was quiet most of the line wait...ha!!

Well, our turn came. I was to ride with two others in our group, Dana and Nick. I wanted to get it over with so we ended up in a different coaster train than our remaining three friends. Dana was almost as scary as me about this ride, but somehow, she had gained some courage and agreed with Nick to ride the ride with *[horrific gasp]* their eyes open and their hands up!! I calmly reminded them that I was just gonna make it through the ride & not holding on with my eyes open were NOT an option. Ha!

So we started our assent up the coaster. I felt us getting higher and higher, I knew the drop would be soon, but I didn't want to see it coming. I knew I was going to have to face it but didn't want my horrific anticipation building. I listened as Dana made sounds of concern the closer we got to the top of our assent. I knew the drop was near. It came, we dropped. Somewhere in the middle of the drop I let myself feel the excitement of it all (with my eyes still closed and still holding on for dear life, mind you). I let myself feel the fall, the feeling like we were letting gravity take its toll, never to be recovered. As we were falling, something reminded me, the fall would soon be over; it would not be to my demise. And...do you know what?!! We did recover!! The ride continued with its twists and turns, ups and downs, sideways and drops. Somewhere along the way, I opened my eyes and let go, just for a little bit. :) I saw the next drop approaching and again held on for dear life and closed my eyes, for good measure. By the end of the ride I had my eyes open and my hands in the air. I was sooo inspired by that ride...uhhh yeah, it was from the adrenalin rush at first...but I got my part!! I was SOO GLAD I let me friends talk me into getting on that ride! LOL! I got a spiritual connotation from it...let me share.

I feel like that's the way it is with God. After a "failed" experience or from fear to even try in the first place, WE rule out things God is asking us to do. We feel that WE are not adequate enough to fulfill His will. (Just like I didn't think the safety constraints were sufficient) We are afraid of the failure, afraid to try again, afraid to take the step of faith. But all God wants us to do is listen to Him and take that first step of faith. Just agree to do it (submit my will), just get in the line (take that step of faith). There always is a period of preparation, during that time, thoughts of doubt will come, How will it turn out? Will I fail again? Will I succeed? Will I survive? Will it be worth it? Just look to the other side of obedience, blessings manifold!! You've committed to God, He will bring you through.

Eventually we will get to the end part of fulfilling God's purpose. Remember, God does not lie, He is tried and proven. We WILL come out alive (spiritually), His promises never fail! No one has ever lost obeying God! There will be ups (major good times, times of happiness, job and gladness), there will be downs (times of confusion, pain and suffering) - but not to the point of death (spiritually), we will recover!! I can choose to fully enjoy the ride or I can count down the seconds until it's over, either way, I'll come out alive. God's got me! Am I too afraid to enjoy the ride? How about the curves, twists and turns? Do I focus so much on the end that I don't enjoy the NOW? The route has been tried and proven. God won't let me lose. The proper safety constraints are in place (The Word, Holy Spirit, Godly counsel), and I have no need to fear.

  The sad thing is that I would've MISSED such a GREAT experience had I decided NOT to get on the ride. I might've lived the next 10-20-30 years of my life reminding myself of the one time I got on the ride and didn't like it (failed). That one bad experience.  Now, I've gotten over that fear, now I want to get on the ride again and maybe even the first row, with my eyes open and my hands up!! LOL!

Lord, please help me not to miss out one the plans you have for me because of past failures, past fears or past negative associations with things, people or situations. Lord, help me to obey You with an un-harnessed abandonment - knowing that, if You are leading me to do it, You've got my best interest at heart. God's Got IT!! - Excerpts taken from my personal journal - Aug 6, 2012

Jer. 29:11 - For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the Lord, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end. - KJV

I'll show up and take care of you as I promised and bring you back home. I know what I'm doing. I have it all planned out—plans to take care of you, not abandon you, plans to give you the future you hope for. - The Message

For I know the plans I have for you,” says the Lord. “They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope. - NLT

For I know the thoughts and plans that I have for you, says the Lord, thoughts and plans for welfare and peace and not for evil, to give you hope in your final outcome. - Amplified

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home