Saturday, November 08, 2008

Where We're Going...

-----NOVEMBER 4, 2008-----
I, along with some of my friends, went downtown Chicago to participate in the election rally for President Elect Barack Obama. I was excited beyond measure.

Earlier that day, I, like many fellow Americans, prayerfully cast my vote on whom I thought would be best. I, like I have done for the past nine years, made my most educated decision, basing my decision on many issues that affect the community and social circles I interact with. Like, as with the two presidential elections prior, I voted for the democratic candidate, as I feel that the democratic party candidate is the best for this position.

For the other offices listed on my ballot, I made choices that I thought were best based on the knowledge I had of the candidates and the issues that are within their control: some for the green party, some for the independent party, and yes, I even voted for one in the republican party. I have heard people make comments throughout this election year that implies or outright states, that many black people voted for Barack Obama solely because he was black. That idea would have NEVER even crossed my mind. I feel that the idea that I would vote for anyone solely on the basis of their color is demeaning to my intelligence.

The fact that the democratic candidate was a black man gave me much pride and inspiration. Being only 40-50 years out of the blatant racism (believe me, there is underline racism that is still strong...) exhibited in many parts of our country towards blacks in America, I knew that if he won, this would be history. It was something we've always talked about, but I guess I never believed it would happen...not now, not while I was still young!

As the hours wore on and we listened to the states that Obama or McCain had won our anticipation grew...what would be the outcome? As I looked at those fellow Election rally attendees, I saw many people (and talked to some, or overheard their conversations): A mother with her young daughter, a father with his daughter on his shoulders, a group of college age students, a young couple, a family, people who just came from work, others from out of state. The diversity was awesome! White, Black, Hispanic, Asian, Middle Eastern, young and old all wanting and waiting for a change. It seemed like it happened so quick...one minute we were looking at the electoral votes climbing and hearing cheers or boos as the states were being estimated, the next..the decision had been made.

I was standing with Jackie, Clare, Trese, we were in a place where it was difficult to see the screen. (Though we were in the next section by the VIP area (where Mr. Obama said his speech), we were in the back and they had a VERY large screen set up for us to see CNN.) I would randomly stand on my tip toes to see the screen when the crowd would let us know something was happening (cheers, boos, countdown...) I will NEVER forget, I looked at the screen (after hearing the crowd countdown) and it said "BARACK OBAMA ELECTED PRESIDENT" I screamed and jumped up and down, and kept doing it. Earlier that day, I thought I was going to cry at that moment...but I couldn't I was too happy, too stunned, too excited, too overwhelmed! I just kept screaming and jumping up and down, hugging those around me and screaming some more!!

(I found this video on YouTube that will help you feel the emotions that I felt at that moment (no one in our group was recording at the moment), I was farther back then where the person captured this at - only way to tell was by the large flags that were scattered among the crowd - at that time we were to the right of the the 2nd or 3rd flag - but the atmosphere was the same throughout!)

I was so happy. Never more happy, proud and glad to be an American citizen, to be a BLACK American citizen! Yes, never before in MY life did I feel the feelings that I felt that night. Here I was, a part of the "young generation", those who had not seen the blatant racism (being called nigger - though I have been called that before, not being able to vote, not being able to eat at certain restaurants, not using certain water fountains, restricted from certain schools and the list could go on.), those who yet have a hope for cultures and ethnicities to be able get along and intermingle with each other and yet still be proud of their original racial heritage. Not letting race be a sole factor of our decisions and moving toward a better society.

I understood that what had just happened around me was the first step in good and better things for race in America. Do I believe that since Obama is in office that things will change overnight for America? No, but I understand for America to make their choice clear (VERY CLEAR - Electoral votes: 364 - OBAMA and 163 - McCAIN), it wasn't just Black people that voted Obama in office. It wasn't just White people, it was many different people together, with the same desire in mind: CHANGE. Change to work together to make things better for ourselves and others, working together to help our fellow Americans, not being selfish about what and where I have gotten, have a heart of love towards those less fortunate. I understand that many people's sweat, tears and blood made the trail for Obama to get where he is today. I understand where people have come from (slavery, jim crow era, underline racism), and I see and understand where we are going... The end of that song (Where We're Going) says: "I give thanks to GOD because I know where I'm going and I know where I've been!"

The night was beautiful, November had not been that warm for over 60 years (if I recall correctly)! The people were peaceful, there were NO incidents that night of misbehavior (Yes, NO incidents, even with ALL those people).

Martin Luther King's speech, "I Have a Dream" hangs above my bed and I see it every day. SIDEBAR: President elect Barack Obama will be sworn in January 20, 2009, five days after MLK 80th birthday! As I read the speech, these words stick out to me:

Nineteen sixty-three is not an end, but a beginning. (2008 is another beginning)
So even though we face the difficulties of today and tomorrow, I still have a dream. It is a dream deeply rooted in the American dream. I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal."

I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.


I have cried since Tuesday, happy to see this moment in time...glad that United States of America has come to THIS point. Knowing what it has taken to get here and knowing that more sweat, blood and tears will be needed to keep on going. Our young black young people can believe in their dreams and know they can get where they want with God's help. Check this out...

Wednesday night we had a prayer service for our new president elect, his family and our country. Continuing in our obedience to the scriptures "to pray for them in authority that we may lead a peaceful life."

I Timothy 2:1-3
I exhort therefore, that, first of all, supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks, be made for all men; For kings, and for all that are in authority; that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty. For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour;


May we all continue to do this...

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At Tuesday, November 25, 2008 12:58:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw you over the internet! -at the above mentioned event. It was great and I was pretty stoked to see online someone I actually knew hanging out at the real live event. way cool!

 
At Tuesday, November 25, 2008 11:03:00 PM , Blogger Elizabeth said...

really!! That is way cool!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home